skip to main content

What is the add/drop deadline for courses?

  • Add a new class: up until the end of the 3rd week
  • Level change (up or down): up until the end of the 6th week
  • Drop a class without a W: up until the end of the 6th week
**Students who chose to enroll in an AP or Honors course, must wait until the first week of school before dropping the course. Moving from an AP/Honors course to a college prep level course is only possible if there is space.**

How do I get up-to-date counseling information?

We are glad you asked! Please visit our Counseling Courier page for our most recent newsletters. 

My student is struggling in one or more courses. What can I do to help?

Grades, assignments, and attendance can be monitored online by parents and students on Aeries and Canvas. This is the best way to be informed of a student's progress throughout the school year.
If a student is struggling, discuss the issue directly with them. What does the student think is the problem? Identifying areas for improvement (such as homework completion or test preparation) can help tremendously to improve grades and comprehension of the course material.
If the student needs help in specific areas or cannot identify specific difficulties in the class, it is important to contact the teacher directly. We encourage students to try this on their own first, in order to build skills of self-advocacy and independence. If this does not improve the situation, parents can contact teachers by email or voicemail. Contact information for teachers can be found on Aeries or on the Staff Directory page of the school website. Teachers are an invaluable resource in helping students achieve growth and success in their subject matter.
Students can also access the tutorial center for additional 1-on-1 tutoring support. Submit a tutoring request form here.

What are A-G courses and why are they important?

Courses designated as 'A-G approved' are those that count toward fulfilling the 'A-G' subject requirements for the University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU) systems. They are denoted on the MVHS transcript with a 'p' next to the course title. All students are encouraged to attempt completion of the 'A-G' requirements in order to have as many college options as possible when they graduate. This set of requirements is in line with the eligibility requirements of many private colleges and out-of-state public universities.

What is the difference between college prep, AP and Honors courses?

  • College prep courses are high school level courses that meet admission requirements for college and prepare students for college level work.
  • Honors courses are still high school level but move through material at an accelerated pace, have more homework and higher teacher expectations, and require a higher level of independence and self-advocacy.
  • AP courses are college level, requiring an even greater amount of work and commitment. All AP courses have a corresponding AP exam given in May, which enrolled students are expected to take. High scores on AP exams may allow students to enter college with college credit.
We encourage all students to challenge themselves with rigorous coursework, though it is important to plan a balanced course load that allows for extracurricular activities, family time, social life, and sufficient sleep and self care. Counselors can help students decide which courses are appropriate.

When do courses need to be repeated, what are the options?

If a student earns an F in a course required to graduate, the course must be repeated (or a different course that fulfills the same requirement must be taken if available). A grade of D- is considered passing for graduation, but colleges generally do not accept D's for admission. Students who plan to apply to four-year colleges should repeat D/F grades in courses that will be evaluated by colleges for admission.
Students can make up certain courses in MVLA Summer School or through MVLA Adult Education. When a student earns a D/F grade, that original grade will always remain on the transcript. However, if the student repeats the course within the district, the credits from the original low grade will be "zeroed out" on the transcript, which removes the value of the low grade from the GPA. The grade and credits from the repeated course will then be factored into the GPA in place of the original. In some cases students can make up courses outside of the district, but the original credits will not be zeroed out. Students should see their counselor for more specific information.

May a student request a specific teacher?

Students may not request specific teachers. Classes and teachers are assigned by Aeries.

What do the different GPA's on the MVHS transcript mean?

MVLA calculates GPA in a variety of ways, which are used for different purposes:
  • Total (cumulative) GPA: Includes every single credit earned by the student in grades 9-12.
  • Academic 9-12 GPA: Includes all coursework in grades 9-12 except PE, athletics, T.A., and a few other non-academic courses.
  • Academic 10-12 GPA: Includes all coursework in grades 10-12 except PE, athletics, T.A., and a few other non-academic courses.
  • Weighted GPA: Calculated using the weighted value of Honors and AP courses (i.e. A = 5, B = 4, etc).
  • Unweighted GPA: Calculated using the standard value of all grades on a 4.0 GPA scale, regardless of Honors or AP designation.
No single GPA on the MVHS transcript is used by all universities for admission. Each college has its own practice for evaluating transcripts and GPA.